Food safety is the way to keep our food hygienic. This means that, it is the application of all measures necessary to ensure the safety and wholesomeness of food during delivery/receiving, storage, preparation/processing, manufacturing, transportation, distribution, handling and service to the customer and clearance. In other words, food safety means “making sure food is free from harm” so as to reduce potential health risks from food consumption.
Food could be contaminated by chemicals, natural toxins, foreign matter, organisms, etc.
To keep food safe, people who prepare food should clean hands, food contact surfaces, and fruits and vegetables; separate raw, cooked, and ready-to-eat foods; cook foods to a safe internal temperature; chill perishable food promptly; and defrost food properly.
The aim of food safety is to make sure that whether food handlers, food service establishment managers, consumers, the public and anyone who is involved in the provisions of food and drink services:
- Identify food hazards and understand their impacts on human health
- Recognize why good hygienic practices are important
- Understand the possible consequences of poor hygienic practices
- Realize the benefit of food safety and good food handling practices to their business
- Health benefits
- Economic benefits
- Social benefits etc.
- Signify food safety and consumer satisfaction
- Understand the benefits of regular food inspections
- Know the advantages and play roles towards the certifications of personnel’s and their services
- Understand the advantages of training regarding food hygiene
The concern of Nitsuh Ethiopia in this regard is to give attention to food safety and works on awareness creation to the public and food service providers on prevention and control of food and food related diseases via Media programming; Provision of training on food safety & food handling practices; Conducting Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP); Facilitating a forum/panel discussions with different stake holders; Technical support to some required certifications (like medical certifications, good practice certifications etc.); Researching on food and related health problems; Inspection of food and drink establishments on behalf of the government, Preparation of food safety manuals, guidelines, broachers, etc.; Preparations of annual competitions among the food service establishments by categories and give certificate of awards etc.